Friday, March 30, 2012

Doctor Appt. and PCOS stuffs :)

Well I went to the OBGYN this morning for my sonogram of my cervix and my ovaries. That was NOT very comfortable...at all! Although There were somethings that I saw and she worked on the screen that I was a tad leery about. I shouldn't get all worked up and I shouldn't have gone online and looked at other sonograms but oh well. It makes me nervous and I have to wait until April 13th to find out everything. I mean I really wouldn't be surprised if he says there are cysts. I mean I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome...It is kind of implied. 


My concern is the whole factor of as of right now we are paying FOR EVERYTHING out of pocket. I don't have insurance anymore and I can't get coverage because of the PCOS. If I do have them (the cysts)...and the Doc wants them removed...yep I think we will be in trouble. Just to get my blood work done it was over $400. I don't want to know what the sonogram cost. Honestly we were in there for 10 minutes...if that.


So enough about that...I know a few of you out there either have or suspect they have PCOS. Here are some questions that I can answer for you...




PCOS Questionnaire


When were you first diagnosed?

Feb 2008
How old were you, when you were diagnosed?
 
25 (almost 26)
How old are you now?


30
Had you heard about PCOS before your diagnosis?

Actually no. I just thought that my periods were irregular because I was so athletic. 
Looking back, what were your symptoms before you were diagnosed? 

irregular period (once didn't have it for a year), weight gain, acne, hair growth in places where it shouldn't be
What medications do you take, related to PCOS? 

Birth control pills. I did try Metformin but the way it reacted with my body was unpleasant. I hated it. I also took diet pills (prescribed by my doctor to help with the weight loss) and they were not fun either.


If you take medications not related to PCOS, what are they, and what are they for?
 
I'm not currently not on anything. Although Pre-natal vitamins are just fine.


How are your symptoms now?

They are present. The most visible is the hair growth. My arms and face are the most visible  and I try and keep them in check. The weight loss is slow but its happening. It took me three months to lose 10 pounds. I am ok with that.


Is your doctor meeting your needs? 

YESSSS!!! After years of not knowing why I wasn't having a period a friend recommended to me her OBGYN office. I found a younger OBGYN that not only knows but SPECIALIZES in PCOS. He is great and doesn't bull shit me. He tells me what we are going to do and how we will get there. 

What are your biggest fears, about the PCOS? 

That I won't be able to have my own family. I won't be able to give my husband a gift that he so desperately wants (and me too). Don't get me wrong adoption is one option that we are going to do before all this PCOS crap started. 


Other than your doctor, do you turn to other PCOS resources?

Not necessary. I joined a forum in 2006 while I was planning my wedding. Back then I never thought that this group of girls would be such a HUGE influence and support system. I can say that I have friends all over the US and Canada. Some of them have PCOS so it was a relief to me. I love those girls.

Have you switched to an Endocrinologist?

 
No


What meal/exercise plan works well for you? 
Right now I am watching my calories. I stay under 1500 and I try to do some sort of cardio exercise 30 minutes a day 4 to 5 days a week. I stay away from sugars (minus my pop). I was never a big candy eater anyway. Although my biggest weakness is Reese Peanut Butter cups. Stupid delicious candy...
What was your healthiest weight?

In high school probably 135. I am now 182 and my next mini goal is 175. I hope I get there! :)


What is your current weight? 

Like I said....182


What is your goal weight? 

160


Do you want children?

Yes...YES...YES!!!


If you do/don’t, how do you feel about other women, who don’t have PCOS, that do/don’t want children? 

That is honestly their opinion. I personally don't care what other women say/think. The only thing that hurts is when people hide the fact their pregnant from me. I'm not going to crumble into a bunch of pieces. I will be just as happy for you. I'm a big girl.


If at all, how has your relationships changed with your friends and relatives, since your diagnosis?

It hasn't. Other than I know some of them follow my blog and keep up with me. I will gladly answer questions. I'm doing this blog so I can reach out to those who won't speak up. I want other girls to be aware of the symptoms and to get it checked out before it gets to far. PCOS is hereditary. I warned my sister and her doctor is aware that I have it and is watching her. Although PCOS didn't kick in for my until I got to college when I wasn't so active in sports anymore. BE AWARE OF YOUR BODY!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment